Aquatic plants are plants which have adapted to living in saltwater or freshwater aquatic environments. But here we are going to focus only on freshwater aquarium plants. There are 6 types of aquatic plants, based upon morphology,
- Amphiphytes : This type of plants can live either submerged or on land.
- Elodeids : This type lives submerged apart of their flowers which come above the waterline.
- Isoetids : Isoetids plants entirely submerged their full life cycle. Can be found on wetlands low nutrient availability. Has a slow growth rate.
- Helophyte : Helophyte plants grow partly submerged. Often rooted in bottom but leaves grow above waterline.
- Nymphaeids : These aqua plants rooted to bottom but leaves float on water surface.
- Pleuston : water plants which freely float on water surface.
So Let goto the freshwater aquarium plants list without go on about scientific stuff. This list contain only popular aquatic plants which are safe for fish tanks.
List of Freshwater Aquatic Plants
Hydrilla plant is probably the most popular Aquatic Plant in freshwater aquarium trade. A good choice for beginners too. The plant has it’s origins in Asia but now it has spread all around the world. A hardy plant which grows rapidly with enough heat and sun light.A very good food source for Herbivore fish. But you can’t keep Hydrilla plants in Goldfish/Koi tanks because they would decimate the whole plant.
Soft Hornwort is another popular aquarium plant. It’s a very soft and delicate plant which is loved to plant eating fish. Scientific name is Ceratophyllum submersum. This plant is first reported from Europe, Central Asia, northern Africa but now can be found everywhere.
Mayaca Fluviatilis can be found in swamps and wet lands of Southern USA and South Amercia. This is another great Aquatic plant suitable for Tetra or Barb tank. Need Sun light to grow healthy.
Amazon Sword is another very popular and hardy plant which should able to survive with most type of freshwater fish. It can grow into something very beautiful if you know how to treat your aquarium plants. Leaves can be grown to be 18-20 inches long so this plant is good for tanks with height. Also it likes sun light a lot. There are several plants which can be found under Amazon Sword name. Scientific name of the plant in above photo is Echinodorus Amazonicus.
Oriental Sword plant is very much similar to Amazon Sword plant but you can see leaves are little bit different. It’s Scientific name Echinodorus Oriental. A very hardy plant should be even better than Amazon Sword for a Goldfish tank. This plant also could grow very tall, even leaves coming above water.